Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics

We all use them.  They form a vital part of our work.  So often I’ve talked to celebrity supporters about how many people are affected by a condition or the number of people whose lives can be changed by support. 

So in this blog post there are no celebs but a tribute to the people we all rely on. The statisticians! 

Tomorrow, 20/10/2010 is the first, UN organised, World Statistics Day. OK not very sexy but when I found the National Statistical Office of Papua New Guinea had commissioned a jingle “to celebrate the many achievements of official statistics, to development” I just felt I had to share (the link takes you to the complete lyrics) and you can hear the jingle by clicking on the player below.


So whilst budgets are slashed, Quangos turned into charities, public sector redundancies soar and we all tighten our belts, here’s a little something to cheer you up.  But don’t expect it to last – I’m sure the jingle budget will be one of the first to go in the UK’s Comprehensive Spending Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment